I'm a product & UX designer
I'm currently available for contract or full-time work. I previously designed for Opower, Mule Design Studio and Viget Labs. I also work with a Ruby on Rails pair programming mentor and keep my projects on GitHub. I'd love if you emailed me at mccoy dot stewart at gmail dot com.
I write about design and communication
- Why startups should care about App.net
- When App.net became a thing last summer, everyone thought it was a Twitter clone. That’s a huge marketing problem because most people in the startup community still don’t understand that App.net is offering a development platform for social products, one that comes with a clear business model that foregoes advertising, an active community of users, and exciting implications for improved UX across the app ecosystem.
- Thoughts on succeeding at your first UX job
- Design ahead of the product development curve; seek out people to brainstorm with; get critical feedback on even the smallest changes from the rest of your design team; when you give feedback, honor the golden rule; find a mentor that will help you refine your process, and other thoughts on how you can be a better employee and designer.
- UX-driven: Design leadership in an agile enterprise startup
- An important skill that you don't learn in design school, and that you won't necessarily learn at your first or second job, is how designing ahead of the traditional product development lifecycle can transform your organization into one that is driven by user experience and positions your UX team as leaders of innovation.